Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 5- Similarities & Alcohol

Happy Sunday Folks!

Today I had the opportunity to worship in 2 different churches. In the morning we went to Lowe Memorial Presbyterian Church and in the evening we went to Christ Church (a non-denominational church). I'd never been to a Presbyterian church before, so I knew this would be interesting. 

It surprised me how "normal" the church was and how similar it was to churches back home. Both services sang a mix of hymns and contemporary songs, all of which I knew. I was surprised that their hymns were not any different. 

Additionally, the churches are facing the same problems here that we face back home: How do we address homosexuality? If we believe the Bible says its a sin, how do we still love on people who are gay? With the leaders of the church ageing and passing away, how do we build up the younger generation to lead the church? With so many young people leaving the church, how do we better evangelize and minister?

The night service seemed very American. The speaker talked about how we can minister to the changing times and I honestly felt like I was back home. He showed pictures of billboards that were Anti-Christian and I felt like I was back home. I'm surprised that Ireland, which is so rooted in the Christian religion, is having our same struggles. 


Alcohol


Before I came to Ireland, I believe the sterotype that all Irish people drank excessively  Well, today I learned that's not true. IN FACT: An *entire* 25% of the Irish population refrain from ALL ALCOHOL in hopes to break this sterotype. Wow. I wonder how many American abstain from Alcohol. But I know it's not this close!

Well, that's it folks, nothing too exciting today. Tomorrow, classes begin. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment