Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 0- Crazy Rituals and A Look Ahead



Hey folks!

In 16 hours I will be flying across the big pond to head to Ireland. SO EXCITED!!! Since this is my 6th international trip (and, I can't even begin to count what trip number this would be if I added in all my domestic trips) I've developed a few crazy travel rituals. They're a little weird, so hopefully if I share them you'll laugh or at least crack a smile. 


  1. DON'T PACK UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE THE TRIP--- Before you non-procrastonaters call me crazy, hear me out! I begin getting everything ready at least a week in advance but I don't begin putting everything in my bags until the afternoon/night before. I'm not sure how this ritual started, but in my many, many travel experience I've never broken this. Now it just feels weird packing any earlier. 
  2. HAVE AUNTIE DO MY HAIR--- My Aunt April is an awesome hair dresser and lives two houses up the road. Before every single trip, domestic or international, she does something with my hair, or at the very least will wax my eyebrows. Since I'll be gone for 6 weeks, she rehighlighted all my hair, cut off 5 inches (that's a lot for me!) and waxed my eyebrows (enjoy the pictures below). I'm thinking she's hoping I'll meet a guy...
                       
Alien hair-do


I just need make-up and I'll be good to go!
3. BUY MUSIC--- Flights are long and often the free music selection isn't that great. So, I put off buying any new iTunes music until the night before the trip, and then I stalk up. 
4. NO SLEEPING--- At 7 hours, my flight to Ireland is the shortest international flight I've ever been on (My longest strait flight was to Germany at 9, and my longest trip with two stops was to the Philippines at just over 30...yes, 30 hours!). I love to just put in my ear buds and fall asleep to some good music. * Insert Funny Story*: When I was flying back from Singapore I was really sick and hadn't been able to keep much down. Anyways, as I was sleeping dinner had been served. When I woke up a few hours later the person next to me had ATE MY FOOD because I was sleeping. And it had been a chicken dinner! Words cannot describe how angry I was at that person!*

So, tomorrow morning I'll head down to Boston and catch a flight over to New Jersey. At Newark I'll meet up with the 20 other kids from my school who are going on the trip and then we'll fly over to Dublin together before taking a bus up to Belfast, Northern Ireland to begin our studies. 

What I'll Be Doing in Ireland 


Unlike the majority of my international trips, my trip to Ireland will not be for pleasure or for mission work. I'm actually doing a shortened study abroad experience. My college has a well developed Irish studies program. If students are accepted they can either choose to study in Ireland for an entire semester or 6 weeks in the summer. I am doing the 6 week program. Since my school sends so many students to Ireland they have their own Mansion. Inside the mansion are dorm-like rooms, classrooms, a kitchen and many other cool things. 
So, why am I going? Several reasons. Mainly, I'm a triple major. I'm majoring in Child & Family Studies (pre-social work), Social Studies Education and History. Since I'm doing this, my schedule for the next 3 years is pretty packed. Taking classes over the summer will help to free up my schedule and insure that I will graduate on time. While in Ireland I will be taking: Irish Literature (upper level English course), Political Philosophy (philosophy course), Christian Capstone and fulfilling my global studies requirement. These are all required classes by school. So, taking them over the summer is much easier than trying to take them later. 
Also, I've always wanted to go to Ireland and London. And, I'll be able to see both this trip! My mom's family is 100% English. Seriously, 100%. I've been doing some family tree work, and can trace every single one of her ancestors to England. *Insert cool side note* My 30th great grandfather on my maternal mother's side was William the Conqueror. HOW COOL IS THAT!?! So, I'll be seeing my roots. Additionally, the vast majority of my dad's family is from Ireland. As a history geek, the opportunity to be able to see where I'm from and to possibly be in places were some of my ancestors once were is completely fascinating. 

Thanks for reading this post! Tomorrow, my adventure begins! To see these posts, please subscribe to my blog (there's a link you can click on the upper left of this page, right under my picture). That way you can enjoy my journey with me, and I will know that people actually read what I'm writing. 

~Krista 

4 comments:

  1. The guy that ate your dinner while you slept - HILARIOUS! laughed my head off imagining this. Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it made you laugh. Words cannot describe how angry I was. When I woke up my little plate that they serve your food in was on my tray, but it was OPENED! I looked and saw that only the butter and some rice was left. I asked the girl next to me what happened, and she said, "Well, you were sleeping and your food was getting cold. I didn't want it to go to waste. I asked the guy next to me if he thought it would be okay, he said yes. So I ate it." I was stunned. Even better: when I explained what happened to the flight attendant, ALL the food was gone and they could only give me ice cream. Yeah, now I pack snacks. Lots and lots of snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie I know we dont see each other much and its not cause I dont want to see you because I love you very much an im so proud of the young women you have become an pray that maybe this trip home I can see you have a great trip an take lots of pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rituals are pretty cool and I love the haircut! It is also nice to see where family comes from. I'm glad this trip is offering you so many awesome opportunities.xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete